Thursday, October 6, 2011

How change happenned... To me!

It was  Sigmund Freud that said “When inspiration does not come to me, I go halfway to meet it.” ... In retrospect, how often are we inspire? What are the things that inspire us? In an era of uncertainty, struggles, and often disappointment, from where or what this attitude, power, and strength comes that inspire us to change the status quo...



I am not very certain how to answer that, but I can share how it happened to me. As you could tell already by looking at my photos, I was once 432 pounds, size 6xl, and pant size 58-60. Life was tough! Imagine being worried whether you will fit into their airplane seat, (do I need to buy another one), the looks people gave you as you walked by, or simply not being able to buy the t-shirt that actually goes with you. Let's take it another step, going to an amusement park, a place that supposed to be fun, and not being able to fit in the ride. I am not saying this to claim pity, just reflecting to give you a perspective of how it has been. Lastly, imagine not getting the job because of the way you look...





Well believe it or not, although it did affect me it was not enough for me to change. I was too focused on being a success in my professional life; whether as a consultant, life coach, and achieving my educational goal, aka the Doctorate. Well, I did all of that, and what now? I went to the doctor and he said... "Kiddo, if you don't change you are going to die", plain and simple... And guess what, that didn't do it either... I remember being at a park with my lovely wife, and I saw a gentlemen playing with his children. He was overweight, and he could barely keep up with his kids... A personal dream of mine has always been to be a father... For some strange reason, I had a flash of all my life, (vision of the doctors, my successes and my failures) and it all just hit home. I remember sitting down, closing my eyes and having a good cry...(and believe you me, when men cry, we do cry... it is worse that the most melodramatic romantic movie)....

A few years later, after eating right, doing Insanity , P90X, and in my opinion the best meal of the Day Shakeology, I was able to lose 234 pounds, and a lot of sizes... As I reflect, and now by dedicating part of my team to coach and motivate others how to do it, I realize that its not about the tool, or even the ways. It is about you and realizing something crucial.... As I smile by typing these few lines, I had the answer all along, I even wrote this on my Doctoral Dissertation; I wrote that when organizations reach a point of dying, then they realize its time for change. As a result I called it "Personal Internal Moment of Crisis"...







That's what happened to me.... It was that image of the father, that did it for me.... That moment of crisis, allowed me to say, enough was enough.... Thus I implore you, urge you, and beseech you that before you undertake any change in your life (education, weight loss), find, search to the deepest corner of your soul for that moment of crisis, because such moment will be the catalyst that will get you through and finally being able to reach your goals... To summarize I believe Johan Gottfied Von Herder said it best,  "Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant. There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks."

Be inspire, to change...
Dr. Hiram S
Add me as a Friend on Facebook

Follow me on Twitter!

Visit my You Tube Channel...






No comments:

Post a Comment